While Apple products and services are clearly our focus, the reality is that many of us use Google services daily as well. Gmail, YouTube, and of course the Google search engine are all daily fixtures in most people’s lives.
Despite the fact that Google and Apple are rivals, Google has made their apps compatible with iOS. They have also developed a variety of widgets for the most popular of their iOS and iPadOS apps.
In this guide, we’re going to go through a few popular Google widgets and show you how to use them.
Installing Relevant Apps
In order to use Google widgets, you need be using Google products. Download Google Drive, Gmail, Google Fit, or YouTube to start using the widgets. If you do not use any Google apps, this guide probably isn’t for you!
Using Google Widgets
Here is the easiest way to access a Google widget for an app you’ve installed:
1. To start, we need to open the widget gallery. On the Home screen, press and hold anywhere on the phone screen. When the apps start wiggling, tap the ‘+’ button in the top left hand corner of the screen.
2. In order to find the widget you are going to use, you need to search for it. You can either scroll until you find it, or tap on the search bar.
3. Search for the app you want to use a Widget. Tap the app when you find.
4. This will bring up the Widget, which in this case is ‘Quick Email Actions’. Tap ‘Add Widget’ to use it.
5. You can now move the Widget around on your Home screen, or press Done to leave it where it is.
With this Widget installed, you can quickly compose an email, search your mail, and check your inbox without leaving the Home Page.
If you need to change the email that this Widget uses or otherwise edit the functionality of the Widget, tap and hold the Widget, and then tap Edit Widget.
Unfortunately, you can’t preview your emails with the Gmail Widget, you can only see how many unread emails you have. Hopefully, more functionality will be added over time.
Final Thoughts on Google Widgets
Widgets are still relatively new to the iOS ecosystem, and there are more widgets added all of the time.
Make sure to check out other Google Widgets like Search, Chrome, Google Fit, and Google Drive!