Are you missing sightseeing? You are not alone! With the Apple Maps app, you can fly over many of the world’s major landmarks and check them out.
iOS 15 also improved the street view function on Apple Maps; digitally touring New York, Paris, or London is easier than ever.
This guide will show you how to explore the worlds landmarks from your phone.
Take A Flyover Tour
Follow these steps to take a flyover tour of a famous city, like New York!
1. Open the Maps app and search for New York.
2. Once your map is over the city of New York, tap the Flyover button.
3. Move your phone around to explore the city of New York from above. You can zoom in, move the camera around, and tap buildings for information. Tap on Start City Tour for a guided Flyover.
4. Your phone will now take you on a tour of the city, and will identify landmarks as you go by.
5. Press Pause Tour at any time to stop the tour and continue using Maps normally.
Digital flyover tours are a great way to get the lay of the land before exploring a city. If you are going on a trip, take a flyover tour before you land to familiarize yourself with the city’s major landmarks.
Look Around With Street View
If you want to get a little more personal, try looking around the streets of major cities. The street view function in Apple Maps has significantly improved.
Follow these steps to try it out!
1. Open maps and search for a street you want to check out. We chose Broadway in New York City. Tap the Look Around button once you have found the street.
2. That’s Broadway! To move around in the space, just tap wherever you want to go. Continue tapping to explore.
3. If you pass a landmark, building, or business that you want more information on, just tap the little icon. In this case, the icon represents a theatre.
4. You will find all of the usual information that Maps provides, including the address, their business hours, their website, and their ratings on Yelp.
5. You can resize the street viewer by tapping the resize arrows in the top left corner of the screen.
6. With the street view at half size, you can drag around the binoculars. This is an easy way to quickly find other landmarks to explore. For example, I dragged the binoculars over to Times Square, and can now view Times Square through the street viewer.
7. You can tap the Times Square icon (or any landmark icon) and it will bring up the directions to the landmark, as well as reduce the street viewer to a tiny window.
8. Tap the street viewer again to make it full-size, and then explore the street view of Times Square, or your favourite destination!
Final Thoughts On Exploring With Maps
Exploring with Maps is easy. Once you use street view a bit and take a Flyover tour, you should feel comfortable doing this with any major landmark!
Make sure to check out landmarks in unconventional places – go see the Taj Mahal! The options are endless with Apple Maps.